Business Network South Carolina
Companies:13,274
Products and Services:242
Articles and publications:121
Tenders & Vacancies:1

Barnhill Realty
Information may not be reliable

Myrtle Beach Real Estate - foreclosure Real Estate.
Address4953 Highway 17 Byp S Myrtle Beach, SC 29577-6684
Phone(843) 293-3100
Websitewww.barnhillrealty.com
Myrtle Beach was incorporated as a town in 1938 and became a city in 1957. Its name comes from the wax myrtle, a shrub that grows abundantly in the area. Our 25,000 permanent residents welcome millions of visitors to this full-service resort community. Guests come to enjoy the wide beaches, the Atlantic Ocean, and an incredible range of activities, entertainment, golf, shopping and dining.

History records that the first tourists here were a party of Spaniards from Hispaniola, who landed about 50 miles north of present-day Myrtle Beach in 1526 and eventually established the first European settlement in the U.S. about 30 miles to the south. Myrtle Beach was incorporated as a town in 1938 and became a city in 1957. Its name comes from the wax myrtle, a shrub that grows abundantly in the area. Our 25,000 permanent residents welcome millions of visitors to this full-service resort community. Guests come to enjoy the wide beaches, the Atlantic Ocean, and an incredible range of activities, entertainment, golf, shopping and dining.

History records that the first tourists here were a party of Spaniards from Hispaniola, who landed about 50 miles north of present-day Myrtle Beach in 1526 and eventually established the first European settlement in the U.S. about 30 miles to the south. That settlement, San Miguel de Cauldape, was abandoned the following year, though, and the group returned to Hispaniola.

In the next three centuries, the region's population grew, but slowly. In the late 1800s and early 1900s, people began to "vacation" here, although it was quite rustic. Houses and camps were sparse, and there were only few permanent residents at the turn of the century. But, drawn by the ocean, sand and trees, people began to call Myrtle Beach "home" as the 1900s progressed.

Today, Myrtle Beach is a well-known destination for vacationers from around the country, Canada and abroad. According to the 2000 Census, the city is at the heart of the 13th fastest growing metropolitan area in the U.S. Our 800 staff members are dedicated to being "First in Service" and are ready to provide assistance and answer your questions at any time.

Again, welcome to the City of Myrtle Beach home page. We hope you find this site enjoyable and useful. For more information, please contact the Public Information Office at info@cityofmyrtlebeach.com or 843-918-1014.

Conway is one of the oldest towns in South Carolina. Originally named Kingston, the town was created in 1734 as part of Royal Governor Robert Johnson's Township Scheme. It was laid out on a river bluff in the center of what became Horry County.

Many area residents fought in the American Revolution and small engagements were fought near Kingston at Bear Bluff and at Black Lake.

After the war, patriotic citizens wanted to discard the mane that honored Great Britain's King George II. The County's name was changed to Horry (pronounced O-Ree) in honor of General Peter Horry in 1801 and a courthouse was established in Kingston. Kingston's name was later changed to Conwayborough for General Robert Conway.

By the 1820's, Conwayborough was a bustling river port. Naval stores with the production of tar, pitch, and turpentine were premium occupation for area residents. Planters who developed plantations both large and small owned much of the land along the Waccamaw. Among these were "Snow Hill," "Sonwood," "Keysfield," "Oregon," "Bells Bay," "The Ark," "Longwood," and a "Woodbourne" in Horry County. Throughout the rest of the county were small farms and plantations.

When South Carolina seceded from the Union, area residents rallied to the cause. Thomas W. Beaty and Benjamin E. Sessions of Conway signed the Ordinances of Secession in Charleston. Near the end of the war, Union Soldiers occupied the town for a time.

During the 1870's, the lumber and naval store industries continued to expand. Riverboats transported passengers and goods along the Waccamaw River between Conwayborough and Georgetown. The South Carolina General Assembly shortened the town's name to Conway in 1883. In 1887, the railroad reached Conway and in 1898 the town elected its first mayor.

Much of the present downtown was built in the early 1900's. About the same time, Conway residents built the first cottages at the present day Myrtle Beach and at first called their summer retreat "New Town."

At the Horry County Museum, visitors learn how local inhabitants, dating back to prehistoric times, adapted to diverse environmental changes. Another exhibit featuring animals of the low country is very popular with visitors, especially children.

Conway eateries get rave reviews from residents and visitors alike. Restaurants, bistros, and cafes offer everything from home style dining to cuisine that satisfies the most adventurous palates.

Conway's updated river front features an 850-foot boardwalk that invites a leisurely stroll for a scenic view of the river's black water. For a narrated historic tour of the Waccamaw, the Kingston Lady Riverboat departs from the Conway Marina, located near the end of the Riverwalk. Canoes and pontoon boats are available for rent and offer the opportunity to slip into the Waccamaw's tributaries teaming with fish, birds, animals, and plant life.

The most scenic route to enter Conway is over the Main Street Bridge. The bridge has been restored to look as it did when it was first erected. The Conway Area Chamber of Commerce, 203 Main Street, will be the first building on the left and offers a friendly welcome, information, and copies of the Historical Trail Map. Other self-guided tours include a guide to Conway's famous live oak trees, a guide to the river and historic warehouse district, and a springtime blooming guide.

Welcome to the City of North Myrtle Beach! Home of “The Shag,” the City of North Myrtle Beach is located along a nine-mile stretch of the Atlantic Ocean coastline in the Northeastern section of South Carolina.

North Myrtle Beach was formed in 1968 when four small beach towns, Cherry Grove, Ocean Drive, Crescent Beach, and Windy Hill Beach consolidated into one community.

The City operates under a council-manager form of government and provides its citizens with a variety of municipal services, including police and fire protection, water and sewer, sanitation service, and recreational facilities.

Millions of visitors come every year to enjoy the wide beaches, the warm weather and the family atmosphere. North Myrtle Beach is also becoming a permanent home for more and more people, as they discover just how much this community has to offer.

Surfside Beach, incorporated in 1964 with 881 residents, is a town of 4,425 located in Horry (pronounced oh'-ree) County. We are located 4 miles South of Myrtle Beach and 85 miles North of Charleston.
First known as Roach's Beach, with only one two story building and several cottages surviving the hurricane of 1893, the region was purchased in the early 1920's. Principal industries were lumber and feed farming for the 30 or so horses and mules in the area. The new owner, Mr. George J. Holiday, renamed the area Floral Beach for his wife, Flora, and daughter, Floramay. In the late 1920's, a group from Columbia purchased and partially developed the land. In 1952, most of the land changed hands again and became known as Surfside Beach. The undeveloped beach area was covered with sand dunes; a one-lane sandy road led from the highway to a quiet, family beach.

Hurricane Hazel in 1954 destroyed 18 of the beach's 65 houses, but did not dampen the spirit of the developers. Lots were cleared, the sand was leveled, topsoil was brought in and T. J. Harrison, who later became the town's first mayor, opened the first grocery store in 1956 for the six permanent families and summer residents. Significant growth didn't happen until after 1956 when Myrtle Beach Air Force Base was reactivated. By 1964, our reputation as a family beach was further established and the town was becoming a popular place to retire. The new town government increased police protection, mosquito and sanitation control, and streetlights and zoning ordinances resulted in increased property values. Public parking and walkways to the beach were established, and government offices were constructed just off Highway 17. Within the next few years, the town continued to grow through annexation. Improvements were made to streets and water lines and business and residential building boomed. Surfside Beach, as well as the rest of the Grand Strand, became one of the fastest growing parts of the country.

Garden City Pier. The photo was taken by Jeb Brigman of Conway in January 2008. The Garden City Pier is located eight miles south of Myrtle Beach.

Jeb writes: "It was a wonderful morning on the beach with the cool breeze and the playful gulls. Most of the day was covered with clouds but they broke for just a few seconds and I was able to get this shot. The pier itself is quite impressive. It has been voted best fishing pier in 2004, 2006, and 2007. With a rain shelter at the end and no charge to enjoy the pier it's always a delight to head out there."

The Garden City Pier is 668 feet long and is open from March until December. It regularly hosts live bands in the summer and draws many fishermen. Find out more info on the Garden City Pier.

Known as the “Seafood Capitol of South Carolina,” we're located south of Myrtle Beach along a beautiful saltwater estuary.

Savory Low country cuisine is bountiful here; so are fresh seafood, the finest steaks, and a range of mouth-watering delicacies prepared by some of the region’s award-winning chefs. From casual to upscale dining, you’ll find a delightful selection of notable restaurants along the Marsh Walk. Access the Restaurant Guide.

Great dining, and so much more... enjoy nightlife, fishing, boating, water sports, and shopping and area events. Murrells Inlet is steeped in history and local lore, in a setting of unparalleled beauty. Learn about activities and attractions along the Marsh Walk, and if you're planning a trip to Myrtle Beach, access our guide to local links and travel information.

The Marsh Walk offers great views of the saltwater marsh with its wildlife, birds and spectacular scenery. Bring the family, and plan a day of fun and relaxation in this village known for its charm and Southern hospitality. We'll see you there!

The restaurants of the Murrells Inlet Marsh Walk- Spud’s Waterfront Dining • Dead Dog Saloon • CreekRatz • Capt. Dave’s Dockside • Drunken Jack’s • Divines Fish House • Wahoo’s • Bovine's.

Carolina Forest is an unincorporated community in Horry County, South Carolina that is located between Myrtle Beach and Conway in a township that was planned by International Paper in the late 1990s. Regarded as the "bedroom community" of Myrtle Beach, the planned unit development will have 20,000 single and multi-family homesites when completed. Most of the development follows the Carolina Forest Master Plan developed cooperatively between International Paper and the Horry County Government.

Carolina Forest was once part of a larger tract of land in eastern Horry County called the Buist Tract. Originally owned by Burroughs and Chapin, International Paper bought the 30,000-acre (121 km²) Buist Tract in 1937. It was used as part of the Conway Bombing and Gunnery Range during World War II. In 1960, the company donated part of the tract for what is now Coastal Carolina University (located several miles away from Carolina Forest). In 1989, approximately 9,000 acres (36 km²) north of Carolina Forest were donated to the state to form the Lewis Ocean Bay Heritage Trust Preserve.

In June 1994, International Paper sold 125 acres of the remaining 21,000 acres (85 km²) of the Buist Tract to Horry County Schools for development of Carolina Forest Elementary School, Carolina Forest Middle School, and Carolina Forest High School. In addition, 350 acres were sold to form a golf course and residential property.

By the end of 1994, International Paper began to sell more of its land. Due to the lack of funding from other sources for road infrastructure, the first 1.25 miles (2.01 km) of Carolina Forest Boulevard were completed by November 1995 by International Paper. Further expansions of both Carolina Forest Boulevard and River Oaks Drive (creating an 11-mile (18 km) loop) would open up 11,000 acres (45 km²) to development west of the Intracoastal Waterway.

In December 1997, Horry County voted to freeze zoning rules in an 11 square miles (28 km²) area of Carolina Forest for 20 years in exchange for land to build parks and roads. An estimated 35,000 people would live in the area covered by the agreement.

There are six public schools in the Carolina Forest attendance area and all are part of the Horry County School District. During the late 1990's, three schools were built to accommodate new residents in Carolina Forest. Carolina Forest Elementary School was opened in 1996 on Carolina Forest Boulevard. Carolina Forest Middle School and High School were built on a combined campus in 1997 on Gardner Lacy Road. As of 2006, attendance had effectively doubled at Carolina Forest Elementary and approximately half of the school's population were being taught in portable classrooms. The middle and high school complex was also approaching its capacity, serving over 1700 students.

To address the growth, Horry County Schools began building three additional schools to serve the attendance area. Carolina Forest Middle was split into two new schools, Ocean Bay Middle and Black Water Middle. Ocean Bay Elementary School and Ocean Bay Middle School, both located on International Drive, were completed in time of Fall 2006 classes. A third school, Black Water Middle School, was built and opened just before end of the 2006-2007 school year. Students of this school continued to meet in the joint middle and high school complex until the school was completed. The middle and high school complex will be renovated exclusively for Carolina Forest High School. The Academy for the Arts, Science, and Technology will also be moving into Carolina Forest and will be located adjacent to Ocean Bay Middle School. Construction of this school began in early 2007 and is scheduled to be completed by the end of 2007.

There are many recreational opportunities in the Carolina Forest area. There are two golf courses in Carolina Forest, Man O' War and The Wizard golf courses. Both are located next to Windsor Green and Waterford Plantation. The River Oaks neighborhood, which borders Carolina Forest, also has several golf courses. Originally in the master plan, Carolina Forest intended to have ten golf courses, but the slight decline of the golf industry in Myrtle Beach has prevented this. Recently, The Wizard golf course was meant to be redeveloped into a multi-family tract but was defeated by the Horry County council in October 2006.

Future recreational areas have been set aside in Carolina Forest. International Paper initially set aside parkland, roadway easements, reserves, and animal corridor land, some of which has not been disturbed and continues to be virgin forestland. Lewis Ocean Bay Preserve, a vast tract of land set aside by the state of South Carolina, borders Carolina Forest and is accessible through International Drive and Highway 90.

Carolina Forest Boulevard - the main arterial through Carolina Forest. The six-mile (10 km) road is planned to be widened to a multi-lane, divided highway in the near future. A one-mile (1.6 km) segment near Carolina Forest Plaza and US 501 is five lanes and narrows into two lanes near Carolina Forest Elementary School.

River Oaks Drive - similar to Carolina Forest Boulevard, River Oaks Boulevard carries traffic as an alternative route to Carolina Forest Boulevard. The road terminates near Towne Centre at International Drive.

International Drive - one of the original dirt roads, International Drive connects Carolina Forest and the Carolina Bays Parkway to Highway 90.

Carolina Bays Parkway - a six-lane freeway that runs through Carolina Forest. Land was set aside by International Paper when Carolina Forest was developed in 1997; the freeway was built five years later and has a separated-grade interchange at International Drive/Grissom Parkway.

Rating:

Related items:

Myrtle Beach Short Sale Team
Actual information
Learn more about Myrtle Beach short sales and how they work. You may be able to avoid foreclosure.
  • 604 27th Avenue North, Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, 29577
  • +1 (843) 222-1926
No One Knows The Grand Strand Better! Professionalism You Can Count On!
  • 2542 Heritage Loop, Myrtle Beach, SC, 29577
  • +1 (843) 222-8566
Myrtle Beach Real Estate
Information may not be reliable
Myrtle Beach Real Estate company specializing in real estate sales and marketing of local Myrtle Beach foreclosures, homes, land, and commercial
  • 1309 Professional Dr Myrtle Beach, SC 29577-5701
Elliott Realty GMAC Real Estate
Information may not be reliable
Trusted source for Myrtle Beach real estate. Search entire MLS listings for Myrtle Beach homes for sale, Myrtle Beach commercial property, Brunswick
  • 204 S Ocean Blvd North Myrtle Beach, SC 29582-3202
  • (843) 280-5704
The Rist Real Estate Resource
Information may not be reliable
Search Myrtle Beach Homes features a full Myrtle Beach Real Estate search to find the best deals on condos, homes and real estate.
  • 3681 Renee Dr Myrtle Beach, SC 29579-4109
  • (843) 241-5859
×